We have had a wonderful start to our first school year here at Narre Warren North Primary School. The beginning of Prep involves many new learning experiences for children both academically and socially.
In Term 1, the Prep children will be learning the following:
- Letters and Sounds:
c (cat), a (apple), t (tie), n (nest), i (insect/ice), p (picnic), s (snake), u (underpants/united), e (emu/egg), l (lollipop), g (glasses), b (bee), d (dot), o (octopus/oval), j (jellyfish), m (magic milk), h (house), f (flower), x (fox), r (rainbow), z (zig zag), y (yum, happy, fly), w (windmill), v (volcano), k (Kung Fu punctuation), q (paper quilt).
- Letter/sound song that we watch each morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffeZXPtTGC4
- Cued articulation (example can be found here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPLnfNciLbA
Learning the difference between a letter, word and sentence.
- Sequencing words in a sentence to make sure it makes sense.
- Using knowledge of sounds to write 3 letter words and begin to write 1 sentence independently.
- Counting fluently forwards and backwards from 0-10 and 10-0.
- Counting on and back from any starting point between 0 and 10 and 10 and 0.
- 1:1 correspondence, e.g. counting each object only once and saying the number name.
- Recognise numbers 0-10 and write numerals 0-10.
- Model numbers 0-10, e.g. represent a number using objects.
- Matching numerals with quantities 0 – 10, e.g. find the group that has 6 objects. 2D shapes, e.g. name common shapes and count how many sides they have.
- Time, e.g. connecting familiar events with days of the week, e.g. on Monday we have Art.
- Length, e.g. comparing the length of two objects, e.g. the pencil is longer than the eraser.
- Weight, e.g. comparing the weight of different objects, e.g. the book is heavier than the feather.
- Capacity, e.g. compare the capacity of different sized containers using the language of – full, empty, holds more, holds less.
- Building positive relationships with students and teachers.
- Making choices.
- Likes/dislikes and strengths.
- Friendships and ‘bucket filling’ (giving and receiving compliments). Team building.
- Logging on, navigating around a Chromebook (e.g. keyboard), exploring Google Drive.
- Drama: dramatic play and performance of ‘We’re Going On A Bear Hunt’.
- Communities: myself, my class, my school, my community.