This Term is an exciting Term for Preps. We have lots of celebrations coming our way.
We are celebrating Mothers’ Day with our Mothers by spending a morning showing how much we love them. We are also celebrating Grandparents’/Special Friend day during Education Week.
In Reading this Term, we will be consolidating some strategies and learning some brand-new ones. Each week we will be looking at different comprehension, accuracy, fluency and expanding vocabulary strategies. New ones we are looking at this term include:
- Recalling facts and details
- Making inferences and drawing conclusions
- Distinguishing between real life and make believe
- Looking at the pictures for clues,
- Skipping the word and reading the rest of the sentence
- Cross checking
- Reading at a just right rate
- Reading with enthusiasm
In Writing, we will be looking at writing recounts and narratives. We will also be looking at different forms of punctuation that we can use in our writing including capital letters and full stops. We will also be introducing what nouns and verbs are and how we use them in our writing.
We have started our SMART spelling groups this term, where students are grouped to meet their needs. Some students are working on graphs (single sounds) and others are working on digraphs (2 letters that make 1 sound).
In Maths, we will be looking at different areas of Number, Measurement and Statistics these include:
- Place value
- Money and financial maths
- Different units of measurement (length, mass, capacity)
- Location (Using positional language)
- Creating graphs to show data that we have collected
We are looking forward to a fantastic term.